© 2019 Savethewinterbournearms. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook Basic Square

A Brief History of The Winterbourne Arms

(formerly The New Inn)

Winterbourne, Newbury, Berkshire. 

The village plan filed in 2009 states that the pubs

history goes back some 300 years.

     The Census in 1851 does not show the New Inn in the Parish, but by 1881 it does feature and again in 1891. In 1881 the publican being a widower Sarah Anne Knight and her seven children. Ten years later, in 1891 the Knights were still the landlords.

     A recently found postcard featuring the New Inn, Winterbourne shows the scene looking northwards just ahead of WW1 in 1912. This shows the pub on the left, in the distance on the left The Old Cottage, (with Hope Cottage largely hidden behind it), in the middle, April Cottage and to the right Bridge Pottery (then the School) all dominate the local countryside surroundings, as does the ford crossings that were a major feature of the Winterbourne stream pre WWI.

     A copy of the Ordance Survey map of this time 1910 (updated from 1878) shows the layout of the village and the many fords in use at the time.

 

     A review of the National Archive records finds the New Inn, was historically owned by a local brewery in Aldermaston. In 1903 a number of local pubs were sold on (around 40 that had been acquired since 1835). In the portfolio sold with The New Inn, was the White Hart at Hampstead Marshall.

     By 1948 the pubs were now under the control of Thomas Wethered and Sons of Marlow. Indeed the old pub sign with the Wethered brand logo can be found in the car park at the rear. It was still known as The New Inn at this time. Wethered eventually ended up being owned by Whitbread's. 

     In the early 1980s the pub was sold by Wethered’s to a partnership of Peter Heal and Tony Tratt (Licensee). It was decided to drop the New Inn name and rebrand as the Winterbourne Arms. Peter Heal used to be the owner of The Old Cottage selling in the early 1990’s. 

     Clive and Delia Saunders acquired from the operator Tony Tratt in 1993/4 and it very quickly built a reputation as a gastro pub. They sold on in 1997/8. It held this reputation until the early 2000s. It then was privately owned by a Mr Burr (who bought it as an investment) who offered it under tenant operators lease. 

     Frank Adams ran for a number of years selling on to the last operator in 2015 a Jan Simpson, she closed the pub in April 2017. It was sold to the current owner Mr Roffe in August 2018 for £351,000 (Land Registry Records). The pub has been closed since the end of April 2017, 

The pub still featured in the good beer guide in 2014.                            

                          

Extract for Berkshire section of GBG                                           
"Winterbourne Arms, Winterbourne,                                                               

Bustling village pub with attractively presented meals."                    

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now